2017 Jaguar XJ vs. 2017 BMW 740i
The 2017 Jaguar XJ is one of the finest luxury sport sedans available around Wayne and Newtown Square, PA, but it’s not the only car in its class. While we’ve yet to see a driver disappointed in what the XJ has to offer at Jaguar West Chester, we know you probably have a competitor or two on your shortlist along with the Jaguar. To help make your decision a bit easier, we’ve put the 2017 Jaguar XJ up against the 2017 BMW 740i so you can have a bit of perspective before making any decisions.
Jaguar Defines Performance
Whether looking at the entry-level XJ or the top-of-the-line XJR, the Jaguar gives drivers the kind of performance one expects from a luxury sport sedan. Two supercharged engine options (with a tweaked supercharged V8 on the XJR) give Jaguar drivers plenty of power, leaving the BMW wanting:
- Jaguar 3.0L Supercharged V6: The base XJ powertrain delivers 340 hp and 332 lb.-ft. of torque, paired to a standard eight-speed automatic with choice of rear- or all-wheel drive.
- Jaguar 5.0L Supercharged V8: Upgrading to the V8 engine brings 470 hp and 424 lb.-ft. of torque (550 hp and 502 lb.-ft. on the XJR), paired with the same eight-speed transmission and choice of drivetrain.
- BMW Turbocharged 3.0L V6: The standard powertrain on the 2017 BMW 740i delivers 320 hp and 332 lb.-ft. of torque, coming close to the Jaguar but not close enough.
- BMW Turbocharged 4.4L V8: Upgrading the BMW certainly gives it a boost in power (to 445 hp and 480 lb.-ft. of torque), but drivers who are seeking the more powerful sport sedan should be looking at the Jaguar XJR.
If power piques your interest, the XJ should have your attention.
The Feel of a Sport Sedan
Lightweight vehicles are all the rage these days, and the 2017 BMW 740i boasts that its frame is “stronger than steel yet 50% lighter.” If you’re anything like we are, however, lighter cars can start to feel more like toys than automobiles. Driving the Jaguar puts you behind the wheel of a vehicle that feels as impressive as its name, a hunting cat ready to pounce. By embracing time-tested engineering and materials, the 2017 Jaguar XJ has a heft to it that gives you confidence and keeps you anchored to the ground during sharp turns and complex maneuvers.
As modern sport sedans, both the 2017 Jaguar XJ and the 2017 BMW 740i come with some of the latest in modern amenities, but one of the biggest differences between the two can be seen in the price. Jaguar offers drivers a wide range of options, starting with the base XJ at a lower price, so that a Newtown Square or Wayne, PA driver can customize their car exactly as they see fit. The BMW starts at a markedly higher price under the assumption you will want a long list of amenities you may have no interest in.
- The 2017 Jaguar XJ is priced starting at just $74,400.
- 2017 BMW 740i models have a base price of $81,500.
Maybe you’ll choose to pocket those savings, or perhaps you’ll add a bit of flair onto your XJ and choose some extra features you’re interested in.
Test Drive a 2017 Jaguar XJ in Wayne and Newtown Square, PA Today
We can only say so much about a vehicle like the 2017 Jaguar XJ before recommending a test drive around Wayne and Newtown Square, PA. Now that you’ve seen a few key differences between it and the 2017 BMW 740i, we invite you to visit Jaguar West Chester, 1568 West Chester Pike, to get behind the wheel. Contact us online or by phone at (800) 446-8180 to schedule your visit.