2017 Jaguar XJ vs. 2017 Mercedes-Benz S550
If you’ve narrowed your choices down to the 2017 Jaguar XJ and 2017 Mercedes-Benz S550, you’ve already done quite a bit of work, but which is right for you? Wayne and Newtown Square, PA drivers seeking an elegant yet powerful new car, we have a breakdown of some key differences between these two vehicles that you should consider before making a decision.
The 2017 Jaguar XJ sport sedan is designed to appeal to a variety of drivers, whether they need the power of the 5.0L supercharged V8 or are comfortable with a 3.0L supercharged V6. Not only does this open up the XJ to a wider variety of drivers, the supercharged V8 is capable of superior power to the Benz S550:
- 2017 Jaguar XJR: The 5.0L supercharged V8 delivers an astonishing 550 hp on the XJR, earning it a 0-60 mph time of just 4.4 seconds.
- 2017 Mercedes-Benz S550: A 4.7L bi-turbo V8 engine powers the S550, earning it 449 hp and managing a 0-60 mph time of 4.8 seconds.
We would be lying if we didn’t say those Mercedes-Benz specs were impressive, but they’re not as impressive as that of the Jaguar XJR. If power is your prime concern, it’s a pretty clear choice which car comes out ahead.
While there are many common features between the 2017 Jaguar XJ and the 2017 Mercedes-Benz S550, even the areas they have in common have advantages for the Jaguar, including touchscreen infotainment, rear seat entertainment systems, and premium sound systems:
- Jaguar InControl Touch Pro: The Jaguar-exclusive InControl Touch Pro system is standard on the XJ and is powered by an Intel Quad Core system, elevating the idea of the connected car to true luxury levels and seamlessly integrating with your smartphone. The Mercedes-Benz “COMAND” system utilizes a combination knob/button/touchscreen interface that complicates more than it helps.
- Rear Seat Entertainment: While both vehicles feature a rear seat entertainment system available, the 10.2-inch screens of the Jaguar XJ are elegantly integrated into the headsets and include two pairs of WhiteFire wireless headphones that are easily stowed. The S550’s entertainment system screens look like aftermarket add-ons instead of a part of the vehicle; a small difference, but one that adds to the elegance of the Jaguar interior.
- Meridian Sound System: A 14-speaker Meridian sound system is standard on the XJ, with 825W digital surround sound (a 1300W system is available as well). Both Meridian systems feature advanced Digital Signal Processor software for superior stereo or surround sound in the cabin. The 13-speaker Burmeister system of the Mercedes-Benz simply lacks the fidelity offered by this state-of-the-art Meridian system; your driving soundtrack will thank you for choosing the Jaguar.
While we know that drivers shopping for a new sport sedan like the 2017 Jaguar XJ are willing to pay a premium for a premium automobile, we also think you’d rather drive home a value than be taken for a ride. You’ve seen some key differences between the XJ and the 2017 Mercedes-Benz S550, and we think a comparison of their prices puts them in stark perspective:
- 2017 Jaguar XJ: $74,400
- 2017 Mercedes-Benz S550: $96,600
With that $22,200 difference, you could easily upgrade the Jaguar and elevate it even further without approaching the price of the Benz.
Test Drive a 2017 Jaguar XJ in Newtown Square and Wayne, PA
Words can only do so much to describe a Jaguar, and if you’re still on the fence regarding the 2017 Jaguar XJ and the 2017 Mercedes-Benz S550, we encourage you to take a test drive. Newtown Square and Wayne, PA drivers can get behind the wheel of the Jaguar XJ at Jaguar West Chester, 1568 West Chester Pike. Contact us online or call us at (800) 446-8180 to schedule your test drive.